With school back in session, now is the perfect time to ensure your cleaning program makes the grade.
If you need help figuring out where to start, don't fret! Our cleaning experts have compiled their top tips on how to improve cleanliness in schools here.
5 School Cleaning Tips
1. Educate Students, Teachers, and Faculty
Encourage students and teachers to take an active role in maintaining a clean, healthy school environment. Teach them the importance of proper hand hygiene, and have them report any school areas needing immediate attention.
Here are a few facts about germs that will help you think twice before you skip the sink:
- Germs are commonly transmitted by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Surfaces can harbor cold and flu viruses for up to 48 hours.
- Some bacteria can live on surfaces for months, increasing your risk of getting sick as well as the length of the illness.
2. Promote Hand Washing
Good hand hygiene is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of germs and illnesses. Make sure soap and hand sanitizer are readily available in classrooms and other common areas, and encourage students, teachers, and faculty to wash their hands frequently throughout the day — especially after using the bathroom, eating, blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water.
- Apply soap and lather it on your hands. Make sure to clean between your fingers and under your nails.
- Wash hands for at least 20 seconds and then rinse.
- Dry hands with a clean towel or air-dry.
3. Evaluate Your Campus
Although some bacteria can survive on surfaces for up to 48 hours, standard disinfection and cleaning are usually all you need.
Develop a schedule that outlines the specific tasks that need to be completed daily, weekly, and monthly. This should include tasks such as sweeping, mopping, dusting, and sanitizing high-touch surfaces, including the following:
- Faucet handles
- Drinking fountains
4. Clean and Disinfect Properly
Always follow the directions on the label of cleaning products and disinfectants.
It’s important to note that there’s a difference between cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting. Here’s a quick overview:
- Cleaning - Cleaning removes dirt and debris from surfaces and is typically performed with a cloth or wipe as well as soap or detergent. This process alone won’t eliminate germs or bacteria, so it needs to be followed up with an EPA-registered disinfectant to kill viruses.
- Sanitizing - Most sanitizing products only claim to kill bacteria. However, they contain less harsh chemicals than disinfectants, meaning they’re usually safer on food-contact surfaces like school lunch tables.
- Disinfecting - Disinfecting wards off both bacteria and viruses. If someone in your classroom was recently sick, you’re better off disinfecting the area than sanitizing it.
5. Hire Cleaning Staff
If your school needs help keeping up with cleaning demands, consider hiring a professional janitorial company to handle the heavy lifting. They have the experience, resources, and expertise to ensure that your school is clean and hygienic.
For instance, at Unified Janitorial Services, our school cleaning services include 24/7 availability, making it easy for us to come clean after students and teachers have gone home for the day.
We have plenty of cleaning supplies, including eco-friendly options, which are safe for students and staff. You can also count on us to show up whenever you need us, however often you want!
School Cleaning Services in the Bay Area and Central Coast
Overall, improving cleanliness in schools requires a combination of effective cleaning practices, education, and support from students, staff, and the wider community.
Unified Janitorial Services is proud to offer school cleaning services among our commercial cleaning options. We currently cover the Bay Area and Central Coast, including Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey, and Santa Clara, CA.
Author Bio: Jose and Renee Wilson-Perez are the owners of Unified Janitorial Services. For over 25 years, their locally-owned and operated business has provided the Bay Area community with commercial cleaning services for their offices, medical facilities, schools, and much more. From Santa Clara to San Benito, Monterey to Santa Cruz, they’re proud to be one of the Bay Area and Central Coast’s most trusted cleaning providers. Call 831-229-9120 for more information.